Friday, September 4, 2009

You want me to feed him WHAT?


There's a huge movement in the autistic community regaurding biomedical treatment. It refers to the process of redressing the anomalies in a persons Biochemistry through the use of specific nutrients.  Specifically, a gluten free and casein free diet (GFCF).  Parents, doctors and researchers say that children have shown mild to dramatic improvements in speech and/or behavior after these substances were removed from their diet. 

Gluten and gluten-like protiens are found in grains like wheat, oats, rye, bulgar, durum, spelt, and barley.  It's also found in starches, semolina, couscous, malt, some vinegars, soy sauce, flavorings, artificial colors and hydrolyzed vegetable proteins.  

Casein is a protein found in milk and other dairy products like cheese, yogurt, ice cream, whey butter, and margarine.  

EYE-YEY-IE!  What's a Mom to do?  

While we (the psychiatrists,  hubby and I) don't believe Logan has autism, I feel he may benefit from a "diet makeover". A GFCF diet is a lot to take on- so, I'm going to take one small step in the right direction.

My first plan of action is to take out all refined sugar, white flour, and anything bleached. Also, I'm removing all foods that are over processed, and full of additives (especially nitrates).

Basically, I'm doing an all whole foods diet.  Homemade bread, cookies, and fruits/veggies.  I already mill my own wheat to make fresh flour, I'm just going to take it one step further. 

"Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food."

With this first step, I'm hoping to see major improvements in his bowls, mood and behavior... I'll keep you posted!
Logan enjoying his "non birthday" with a fresh milled blueberry muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment